Sunday, March 21, 2010

things looking good in the square foot garden

Well, the weekend is over.  We got more sun than expected and now its time to think of dinner and get ready for the week.  Just a few clean-up tasks left.
It seems that all the plants that I planted yesterday are doing well under their hoop frame/remay cover.  The plants look perky and ready to grow.  It is one of those moments of small success that makes things good.
I am really curious to see where things will go from here.  The regional veggie guru Steve Solomon recommends widely-space, dry gardening for the Pacific Northwest.  And I am really intrigued.  But on 0.17 acres in the suburbs, I feel the need for my little farm plot to look more landscaped.  So here I am on a square foot garden adventure.  Can these dense plantings really not just grow but thrive?  Will all this effort reward us with food we like to eat?  The Osaka Purple Mustard should be the first to answer, baby greens in 20 days....

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of dry veggie gardening before so just looked it up. Interesting! I look forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete