Monday, March 1, 2010

Blueberries are in the ground ...

I ran out of time today but I am feeling pretty pleased.  I have a good start on my fruit bed.  Below are my four new blueberries straight out of the box. 
 
The biggest had amazing roots.  And three cheers for my soil -- a few years back worms were a rarity.  Now I run into them all the time.  You can spot at least 3 in this picture.*
I didn't get as far as I hoped.  My strawberry starts are still in the fridge and the soaker hose is still a figment of my imagination -- but the blueberries are in the ground and stepping stones have been placed so I don't crush the strawberry plants in the fall. 
And though everything is so pale in this picture -- where was the promised sun?!  You might have noticed that my new blueberry is as tall as my columnar apple and espaliered pear tree.  It must be feeling pretty proud of itself.  That's okay, cause I am feeling pretty proud too.

*If you are looking but can't find the worms, there is one off the right side of the root ball and a cluster in the upper left of the photo.  Perhaps, like me, you can be amazed by the presence of small, good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment