Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mother and daughter day

I spent a fun afternoon with my kindergartner in the garden today.  Together we put on a number of finishing touches to our raised veggie bed.  Our first task was to mark off squares for our square foot garden.  I decided to use ground stakes to do this since they were precut and in the lengths I needed.
To get the job done, we laid down two tape measurers and used 2x2 as a guideline to put our 2 foot stakes down.  Here is my daughter making sure things will line up.
Lately she has been really interested in becoming a scientist so she had a great time being technical and exact with her measurements.
After we placed the stakes, we set them into the dirt on their edges to make them more stable.
Afterwards, we placed two 1 foot long stakes perpendicularly to make our one foot square boxes.
Finally, we cut 1/2 inch PVC to length to make hoops for our bed -- my daughter even used the saw herself!  Then we put them in place and added the clamps we will use to hold down our cloth once the plants are in. 

And we were done.  The project turned out much better than my free-standing cold frame -- and my daughter was very pleased with her contribution (and so was I!)  Now we can't wait to plant....

2 comments:

  1. What a terrific project to do with your daughter! Girls rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like an enthusiastic kid to bring joy to a project. Girls do rock!

    ReplyDelete