Thursday, March 4, 2010

Seed sprouting station modified

So today I cobbled together a lighting system for my seed starter kits.  Not exactly good interior design -- but I figure it will get my seeds the start they need for the time being. 
When I checked in on the morning sprouts this afternoon, I noticed that some of the cabbage sprouts were looking a bit fuzzy.  I am pretty sure that fuzzy isn't good.  So I pulled them, a few marigolds, and a spinach out and set them on a cookie tray for further (less humid) growing.  The seed starter kit packaging said the sprouts would be ready to plant when their roots begin to bust through the pellets.  Let's hope I have dirt in my planter by then!  At the rate they are growing, I might not....

2 comments:

  1. Once the seeds sprout, I take the dome lids off. Trapping the moisture in is probably what cause the fuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't organized enough to put all the pellets that sprouted first into the same container -- hence the moving to the cookie sheet. Plus, on the one container where I planted a bunch of one thing -- I wasn't sure what to do when half had clearly sprouted and half had not. So I took what I thought was the safe route and moved the sprouted ones out, then back once the rest were sprouted.

    ReplyDelete