Sunday, March 14, 2010

improvements don't really improve the cold frame

I repaired my cold frame today.  The lathe I used was too flimsy to do the job well.  The frame threatened to blow away in the wind, it got bent out of shape by its own weight, and the plastic detached in one corner.
So I attached some 2x2 cedar to the frame to add heft and stiffen it up.  My patch worked but I really must say this turned out to be an ugly project.  It looks real cheap and rushed.  Next time I start a new project, I will slow down and find out how others went about it before I get started. 
Nonetheless, I did learn something from my efforts -- if you want to protect something, what you build must be substantial.  Lathe is not substantial -- use 2x2 or other sturdy-sized wood instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment