Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'm back ...

and it is time to sort out what needs to get done.  I have been dreaming big this year with this veggie garden -- but most of those dreams have been on hold since my grams passed.  Thank goodness for the rain -- at least my plants have been watered! 

And my husband helped me get Mel's mix into my final raised bed last weekend.  I can't forget that.  However, planning a party for 125+ with my adoptive family group this Sunday means I won't be gaining much momentum until next week rolls around.  So what will I attack first?
  • the may raised bed plantings.  My seeds are good to go but my seedlings...?  I was really enthusiastic about starting seeds indoors -- especially for basil and peppers.  But I can't say my efforts paid off.  Nothing is really growing. I think it is time to give up the ghost -- and find a way to buy those basil and pepper starts. 
  • seed the patches in my wildflower garden.
  • plant kiwi.  I am good to go on this one.  My trellises are made and the plants are purchased.  I just need time to set the trellises in the ground properly.
  • plant melons.  This is a whole new task.  I was going to plant them in my final raised bed and then realized that the East side of my house was not going to give them the heat they need to grow.  So I have decided to move them to a sunny spot in the corner of my front yard.  I will build a "room-divider" trellis for them there.  So I need trellis supplies, building time, grounding the trellis time, and seeding -- plus rearranging what is already there.  Lots of work and it should get done asap if the melons are to have a chance.
  • plant sunflower house.  How cute is that?!  Can't wait to see the kids play in August.  Unfortunately that means clearing/leveling and planting a space for it now....
I think that is it.  Maybe I can try to squeeze in the first three this weekend -- and finish them on Monday, if necessary.  Then I can dive into the melon project, then the sunflower house.  Hopefully I can get all this done by the end of the following weekend.  Then I can start tackling....
  • my hanging planters.
  • my watering system.
  • my fruit tree espalier.
  • my trellis for the small raised bed.
  • my blackberry trellis.
  • my worm bin.
  • my snail barrier on my 2 foot tall raised bed.
And in good news -- I had my first harvest a week or so ago.  Choy sum (below) and mustard greens.  They contributed to a very tasty stirfry.  Looking forward to when the harvests are abundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment