Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New growing station

As I was dealing with my indoor pest problem, I also ran across some interesting information on seeds starting and heat by Travis at The Westside Gardener.  Basicly, he is pointing out that seedlings might grow lushly with good light and heat but in the Pacific NW those seedlings are not going to meet heat when they get put into the ground; therefore, it is better to raise your seedlings in a cool location with good light.  Doing this will make your seedlings 'hard' from the start.  (Though he warns about starting truly hot seasoned plants like peppers too soon as they suffer from temperatures under 45 degrees.)

What Travis said made sense to me.  My previous growing station was the same as my seed starting station -- in the window of my warm kitchen (in fact, a down right hot kitchen on sunny days thanks to south facing skylights.)  Now I have invested in a real shop light and moved my growing station out to the garage.  The seedlings will still be protected from the weather but they will not be lulled into thinking they live in a hot climate. 
I am hoping my efforts will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment