Sunday, April 4, 2010

Weekend roundup

Garden events, like the weather, were mercurial this weekend.  We had great gusty hours and calm hours, overcast, rainy, and sunny hours, warm and cold hours.  The espaliered pear tree survived the windstorm with its flowers -- though I don't think my cold frame did much to secure that result.  It probably got a bit more battered for being 'protected.'  Again, I needed a more thorough effort.  In this case, I must finish installing the espalier guide lines.  If the branches had been secured to them, the wind probably would have whipped by them, no issues.

Anyway, with the help of my dad who was visiting from out of state (I am not sure why anyone ever visits, we always put them to work!) I managed to get a few things done in the yard.  All the bamboo got put into the ground, the fruit bed was weeded (the seeds from the wildflower garden on the other side of the fence appear to be migrating), seeds and seedlings were set out in the raised bed, a new light station was begun in my garage (more in on that when I complete it -- as of now my timer doesn't work right...) and many egg hunts unfolded. 

When I pulled off the remay to set out the starts and seeds this afternoon, everything looked more robust than it had on Thursday.  One of those deep grins grabbed hold of me when I spotted the start of flowers on my choy sum.  I have never eaten this pac choi relative before -- but they say you can pull the whole plant to add to stirfries once it flowers.  Looks like the first taste of our efforts on Scaredy Cat Farm are around the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment