Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Soil Test Results

Today I had the pleasure of opening my soil test results from UMass' Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Lab.  I actually got the results by pdf last Friday -- but since I was busy with the Northwest Flower and Garden show and our raised bed, I didn't quite get to the results.  It was a pleasant surprise to find the envelope in our mailbox since I had forgotten about UMass' e-mail -- and there is something somehow more exciting to getting your results when you get to tear paper in the process. 

In reading my soil test results, I noticed something about myself -- I don't like to read technical language.  I like technical information but I prefer it delivered through a journalist or an enthusiast.  I am ashamed to admit that I could feel my reticence rise just from the formatting of the words on the page.  And I could feel my brain slow with even the briefest mention of phrases like: soil PH adjustment, ground dolomitic limestone, per 100 square feet....  I think I just know that I am in over my head. 

So I reminded myself that it is okay to fail.  That I am taking on a lot this year with hardscape, irrigation, plant choices, etc. -- and I can work up to the specifics of scientific soil management over time.  This year I am (for the most part) working with fresh soil since I chose to try raised beds.  The soil I had tested won't really be nourishing the majority of my crops (though it could leach) -- and my fruit garden might just have to deal with another year of benign neglect (though there seemed to be no red flags in the results and I do promise to water more regularly this year.)

Finally, I did get the good news I was hoping for -- no significant levels of lead.  So this scaredy cat farmer has bought herself some piece of mind by having a proper soil test done: I won't be poisoning my kids with our produce.  That in itself made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment