Friday, February 12, 2010

The epimediums are in the ground ...

I have heard that it isn't good to mess with wet soil because it is damaging to its structure -- but we haven't seen a dry day since Monday and the epimediums were thriving in a box in my garage.  I understand that epimediums are rather rugged for their delicate looks so I am hoping they will over come their rough start. 

They morning started with using my pulaski to break up the soil under the rhodies where the sod used to be.  I did some worm damage but didn't see my green enemy again.  Then I laid down some compost based soil mix and turned it with the original dirt.  I have heard that you don't want to disturb the soil surrounding the plant -- which makes sense to me if you are planting a speciman.  But I am planting a groundcover and want to spread -- so I am more worried that running into a different soil texture will inhibit its growth  than I am worried about overturning weed seeds.  Then I took the epimediums out of their box, careful to keep the orange and yellow bloomers separate.  I bought 5 epimediums but was able to get over 12 starts out of them.  Hopefully this means they will fill in and become a beautiful groundcover quicker.  I laid them out into a nice pattern, made shallow depressions, and covered them with dirt.  My final step was to cover my work with way too little compost (less than 0.5 inches).  Maybe I will fix that later. 

It was a real Seattle day today.  It was raining the entire time I was outside.  Normally I am a fair weather gardner but those epimediums were begging for soil and finishing that raised bed is going to get my attention this weekend (or maybe my husband's....)  The rain didn't mean much until I got the epimediums laid out under the rhodies.  Then it quickened and gave me the feeling I was wearing a hat.  And not a pretty one at that.

Anyone else garden in the rain?

2 comments:

  1. Living in Seattle, you kind of have to garden in the rain once in awhile. :-) Epimediums are great plants. I've got a whole giant border area planted with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will have to get more acquainted with the rain now that the scale of my gardening is growing.... The epimediums are definitely loving their new soil and our wet weather!

    ReplyDelete