Saturday, February 6, 2010

Newspaper seed pots

When I bought my epimediums yesterday, the grower said to plant them immediately.  Well, I need to remove some sod before I can plant and today is to be dedicated to getting my big raised bed into the ground -- so I am going to plan B, temporary repotting.  I remembered seeing these cute little paper seed pots in Organic Crops in Pots by Deborah Schneebeli-Morrell and I found out how to do them here in this video with Willi Galloway.  The basics (fold paper, roll, smoosh into pot shape) look like this:
And perhaps most important for me on a Saturday morning ... it is a kid friendly project.  Kids 4+ can help with the folding and rolling.  Kids 2+ can fill the pots with soil.
Unfortunately for me, these 3 inch newspaper seed pots were no where close to big enough to housing the epimediums (hairy roots, sticks, and green shoots -- perhaps these are rhizomes?)  So we ditched the pots in favor of an available box. 
We put in some potting soil, layered in the epimediums, and covered with more soil.  I figure this will buy me at least the week it might take before I can remove the sod and prepare the bed.  Veggies first!

My only concern with my repurposed box solution is the roots might grow together since they are so mature(though I did try to keep a layer of soil between each epimedium.)  But I think both the repurposed box and the newspaper pots could be used as future seed starting methods once I get started with my edible garden.

Anyone use newspaper seed pots or a repurposed box with words of wisdom to offer?

No comments:

Post a Comment