Friday, June 25, 2010

seed starting again

My seeds arrived from Territorial and I am back to seed starting again.  I am a bit surprised to be here so soon -- especially given my poor results this spring -- but the seed packet for the brussels sprouts demanded I give it another try.  "Erratic seed germination makes direct sowing difficult?!"**
This time I went with peet pots.  I enjoyed seeding with peat pellets in the spring but I didn't like what I saw at harvest time.
Poor little guy couldn't bust through the pellet (of course, it was probably a bad choice to put a beet in one of these in the first place.)

As for my brussels sprouts, I am going to put some seeds directly into the ground and cross my fingers.  And I am going to do my best to nurture the ones in my peet pots.  But my fingers are crossed for those ones too since I have never gotten a seed start to 4 inches before.  Here's to crossing the 2 inch mark!

**Update**  "A clue, a clue," -- anonymous child on Blues Clues. 
Over at digginfood Willi Galloway explains that warm temperatures during summer make direct seeding iffy because the seeds/sprouts might dry out in a warm spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment