Thursday, June 3, 2010

garden life


Spent some time today in the fruit bed weeding.  Found lots of oxalis.  It's a pretty little weed with its dusky purple cast -- but I have been told it is a dangerous one -- to dig out the entire root or this little guy will multiply fast.  And I am being diligent about it since in another corner of my yard clover and vetch has overrun the existing periwinkle and is threating my nandina too.
In more upbeat garden news -- while weeding the fruit bed my son found 4 apples growing on our columnar tree.  This is the first time it has born fruit (it was planted 2 years ago.)
His discovery took me by total surprise.  I heard that stocking covers help prevent apple maggots infestation (which we are prone to in this area.)  I think we were supposed to get the covers on before the fruit reached nickel size and now I have quarters.  Plus I was caught unprepared since we have never had fruit before.  I bought nylons at the foodstore tonight so I can cover up my beauties tomorrow. 

Another surprise in my apple tree was the spiraled dweller below.  With my snail lover nearby, I had to quietly palm him and quickly launch him over the fence into the street.  I didn't go check on his landing...  I can be mean when there are edibles involved.

I also spent some time just enjoying the aesthetics of an abundant garden.  I am so glad I started planting months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment