Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Put in my order...

I finally committed myself to this summer's garden with a big order from Territorial Seeds.  I picked them because they are regional -- and I understand I will have better luck with plants tested in my climate.  At first I went through and made up my dream list -- basically looking for short growing season (most of the attempts I have done with edibles in the past seem to be hindered by not enough time for food to ripen.)  I was pretty happy with my picks and then Edible Heirlooms by Bill Thorness became available for me at the library. 

With Edible Heirlooms, I began to think about biodiversity and sustainablility.  So I reviewed my wish list with an eye for open-pollinators rather than hybrids.  When my list was complete, I ordered it -- mostly to keep myself from overthinking.

My picks?  Well, I found it hard to say no to much  so this year we will be trying: sauce and cherry tomatoes (we really don't use slicers); hot and sweet peppers (I am hoping for lots of pepperonata); beets, lettuce, spinach, and chard (because we need more greens in our lives), red carrots (because plain ones would be boring); pac choi and edamame (we have been incorporating more Asian foods into our diet); fancy galeaux squash, tigger melons, and moon and stars watermelons (these will be my experiement in vertical gardening -- they will all grow up); snap peas and green beens ('cause they are easy and you have to?); basil and fennel (because they can be expensive and I like them), cauliflower and canellini beans (just caught my eye.) 

Once the seeds get here (could be by the end of the week), I will have to figure out where and when -- and I still have to test my soil, install my raised beds and vine trellising, and figure out a watering system. 

I also put in an order from another regional supplier, Raintree Nursery.  Here I purchased strawberries, blueberries and kiwi vines.  The strawberries need to be in the ground by Tax Day -- and I think everything else will arrive in May.  Lots of work ahead but the dreaming makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment