Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Cheat


... and a grateful sister -- that's what I am today. 

It sounds stupid but I was afraid to buy the wood for my raised garden bed.  I went to my local Home Depot and Lowe's to scope out supply prices.  I knew who had what -- HD had no 2"x6" cedar!  Had my supply list.  Knew I needed to look for straight wood.  But was worried about how to get a bunch of 12 foot boards into my car and back home.  Paralyzed really.  But then my brother came to town.  And he did my shopping for me.

And now he is building the bed.  I will still have to prepare the ground and get it into place -- but this is a huge help!  Now I have to figure out what to seal the bed with.  I almost bought boiled linseed oil but then got worried about the additives.  I am looking for a non-toxic alternative.  Figured I will contact my garden supply store -- though I am open to suggestions.  Have any?
  
The bed is coming along nicely -- and I am so happy because there is a good chance this project would have gotten shelved if my brother hadn't arrived.  This raised bed is going to look so much better than the mound of dirt I would have resorted to in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment