Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I am back....

I changed the name of the blog to reflect the true nature of my efforts.  So much is keeping me so busy -- but I don't want to give my gardening up.

Today I sent myself outside for just 5 minutes to clean up my "weed bed."  I took down all the tall stalks from last year's wildflowers now that new growth is emerging.  After a mild winter there are enough things blooming elsewhere for birds to feed on -- so I can go back to pleasing my neighbors....

My five minutes took a half hour and gave me a sense of accomplishment.  Tomorrow's yard waste bin will go out full.

I also have a few things to add to my list of things to do:

  1. Slug and snail management.  I found at least 10 and I wasn't even looking! I figure now is the time to thin the population so that in a couple of months the strawberries on the other side of the fence won't face incoming hordes.
  2. Weed management.  Basically I have to re-educate myself on what is a weed and what is a wildflower.  Technically, the wildflower is the wanted one.  I just can't remember which plants are garden pests.  Now that the ground has turned green with sprouts, I should figure out which plants are on my eviction list so I can get them out before they get big, or heavens forbid, flower.
  3. Edible seeding.  I need to get started.  Nature isn't waiting, so neither should I....
Now, which will get my efforts when I find another 15 minutes of free time?  Stay tuned and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment